The Diary of Mrs. S

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Yikes!!

Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure (LEEP)


What is it?
LEEP is an outpatient procedure using an instrument that sends a low-voltage electrical current to a fine metal loop. The metal loop cuts and cauterizes abnormal tissue, allowing for safe, relatively bloodless removal of a cone-shaped cervical biopsy.

What conditions is it designed to treat?
LEEP is used to remove abnormal tissue in the cervix discovered by Pap smear and confirmed by colposcopy. Entire areas of precancerous cells can be removed.

How is the procedure done?
Local anesthetic is used to numb the cervix. The cervix may be treated with acetic acid (vinegar) to reveal abnormal tissue before excising. The pencil-like instrument is inserted into the cervix and the low-voltage current is used as the physician carefully uses the wire loop to cut and cauterize abnormal tissue. LEEP is very effective at removing abnormal cells.


What are the potential risks?
Potential risks include significant bleeding that may require vaginal packing or a blood transfusion. Infection of the cervix could occur but is unusual. Scar tissue that could cause narrowing of the cervix can result in infertility. If a large piece of the cervix must be removed in order to remove the abnormal tissue, the patient can develop cervical incompetence--a condition that can lead to second trimester pregnancy loss.


This is what I have to look forward to. I'm a little nervous. I think I am more worried about the potential risks than the actual procedure. Specifically the scar tissue and cervical inpompetence part. Growing up sucks! I have always had pristine health. I've only broken a toe and gotten stiches once. I'd say that is pretty good considering I took gymnastics for 6 years. I can still do a backhandspring. GO ME! Got sidetracked there for a moment.
I'm also thinking it is probably time to get my eyes checked. I can't tell you how long it has been. Maybe it's because we are talking about the eyeball in A&P, which I will try to have a special A&P segment by the end of the week. I can hear just fine, I think. Which reminds me of a funny story: Dave and I ate at El Patron Sunday (the cheese dip Saturday night made me crave Mexican). Near the beginning of dinner, we noticed the train going around the perimeter of the restaurant was going a little slow and struggling to make it around the corners. Dave didn't think it could make another rotation around, but of course, I disagreed. So, we began talking about something else. When we were done with that conversation, I said "There's the train", trying to prove to him that I was right, hehehe. Well, his response was a nod of the head and a "yea". I knew he didn't hear what I said because he would have turned and looked. Laughing, I said "You didn't hear what I just said". He proceeds to repeat word for word the sentence right before my train exclamation. Laughing even harder, I pointed out what he just did! He was so busted! He admitted it and started laughing too. I'm easy going so I don't get mad. Or maybe I revert back to my Mother's daughter episode. Nah, I don't get mad usually at him for something insignificant as the train.

How did I go from a gynocological procedure to a train story? Don't mind me. Just a little nutty!

5 Comments:

  • OH, so many things on that post. Yum, El Porton!!! Now I'm going to crave it! The story about Dave was too funny! It's that selective hearing that men have (I can't really talk though b/c I have it too).

    The first part of your post made me hurt! I've never had that done but I did have to have a culpo and cryo done and swore after those two things that I NEVER wanted children b/c if "those" procedures hurt THAT bad, then there was no way I could handle child birth. However, well, look at me now. The cervix is a strange thing and it does suck getting older and it sucks even more being a woman sometimes b/c there are just SO many things that can go wrong with our woman parts! BUT, don't let the "potential risks" get you b/c they are just that....potential! Again, I've had the cervical problems and I'm having babies just fine. Stay positive sister!

    By Blogger Silly Hily, At 3:26 PM  

  • Napa, I can't figure out how to add everyone's blog links to mine. Blue Angel's is www.forevergordon.blogspot.com and Hily, it was El PATRON, I'm not a fan of El PORTON and thanks Hil!

    By Blogger Lucky Gem, At 3:38 PM  

  • I'm sure all will turn out beautifully, but I will keep you in my prayers. You can never have enough of those.

    By Blogger takinchances, At 9:31 PM  

  • Thinking about you babe... let us know how it goes.

    By Blogger What The Hell Is This?, At 6:47 AM  

  • You'll be fine. Remember we're in this together. Dave will make sure you are very well taken care of. He's probably ready for everything to be over just as much as you are.
    They do tune us out sometimes. Like on Scrubs last night, say shoes and they tune out. To bring them back you say lace bra or panties. It was great.

    By Blogger Blue Angel, At 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home