The Diary of Mrs. S

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Time for a change?

I've decided to try this 'paying your bills online' business. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with it. I've got everything set up on my online banking website. Lord knows it took forever for me to be comfortable to even sign up for online banking in the first place.

Why the hesitation? Well, that's a big ol' story. Anybody watch Dr. Phil yesterday? It was about this man who would use his brothers' identities for various things. Nothing like opening a credit card account or getting a loan or anything like that. Spoken like someone who has experienced that? Yep, I have. And it's a bitch. No, it was any of my siblings, but it was someone I know, knew, whatever. Technically, she was no longer part of the family.

Several years ago, I think back in 2003 or something, Mr. S and I decided to take advantage of the rock bottom mortgage interest rates. We decided to refinance the house. We go through the application process, we knew our credit was spotless. Well, we thought my credit was spotless. The guy processing the information from the bank proceeded to tell me about this American Express card with several thousand dollars on it, and it was nearly in collections. Then he started naming a couple of other credit cards in which I had NO IDEA existed in my name. Yes, my identity had been stolen. I guess, but not really. A few days later, I find out about a $10,000 loan taken out in my name. How the hell? I was furious!!

But wait, it gets better. This person, this person who decided to screw me over was someone I knew. It was my ex-stepmom. She had even moved to Wisconsin and still managed to f*ck with me down in Tennessee. Apparently, either she had my SS# written down somewhere or old mail of mine was somehow forwarded to her in Wisconsin. How did I know it was her? The dumb bitch put her name on the credit applications as a user of the account. WTF? My dad, he was furious, too, as he was sending lots and lots of child support money to her for my little brothers. And she wasn't working, lazy ____!

Everything added up to about $30,000. And it made it to where I couldn't be on the mortgage. It took a good part of six months to clear everything and get it removed from my credit reports.

That's not what makes me the maddest. Each credit card company asked if I wanted to press charges. Hell, yes, I want to press charges. I filed a police report with the department in Wisconsin. I called the F.B.I. I filed a report with the FTC. I faxed emails from this woman to me (after she found out I knew, she started emailing me for forgiveness and explained why she did what she did...whatever) to the police department. Did anything ever happen to her. NO!!! She even confessed to the police investigator AND the credit card companies. Wanna know why nothing happened to her? She told the creditors to put everything in her name and she would pay them back. WHAT?! Who believes a criminal will pay them? They are idiots. She's probably never sent them a penny.
Why do interest rates on credit cards keep going up? Because credit card companies won't prosecute! Even if you want them to. I guess I could have gone after her personally, but it would not have done any good. What did she have to offer me as repentance?

So, now I own a shredder and shred most everything! I highly recommend getting one if you don't already. I know shredding my things would not have stopped her, but I am more aware of how easy it is for someone to steal from you.

That, my friends, is the root of my insecurity with banking and bill paying online. Anybody else pay online?

Oh, here's my PSA....check your credit often. You are allowed one free credit report from each of the major companies every year. Go here for more information and the link to get your free credit reports.

3 Comments:

  • I do use online banking, but only for some bills. It is easier set up recurrent bills, such as a revolving furniture account (where the amount is exactly the same each month) with online banking and then you ave one less thing to remember each month and you have proof it gets paid.

    Most of my bills, I try to pay online. Just because it is easier for me that way. I am still wary, though not of my banks website. I am wary of paying through other websites, like for the MLGW bill.

    Back about 3 years ago, someone got ahold of my bank debit card number and charge almost $1,000 at Saks 5th Avenue and the bank did not even question the large charge amount! I was pissed, but they did get me my money back, so I know how it feel to have that happen to you.

    By Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is), At 2:16 PM  

  • I haven't been TO my bank since I opened my account...2 years ago. I pay all my bills online and a book of checks now lasts me a LONG time!!

    I'm sorry that happened to you. I pulled my credit report three years ago and had all these store credit cards showing with balances ranging from $500 to $3200 on them. I'd never had a credit card with these stores. Also on my report? An outstanding student loan for close to 40 grand...for an out of state college! One I'd never heard of, let alone been to!! So, I agree with your PSA. I pull my report every year and also have credit monitoring services attached to it...when something new is added, I get notified and can make sure it's legit.

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:20 PM  

  • I also use online banking. I don't have it taken out automatically and I make sure the computer doesnt have it stored in it's memory...(am I sure it doesn't..hmm nope..but am hoping!) I have just recently started doing this myself..so far so good!

    By Blogger Kelly, At 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home