The Diary of Mrs. S

Thursday, March 01, 2007

An Almost Slumber Party

My sister and I are pretty chicken when it comes to storms. I don't know why. Any mention of tornados on the news freaks us out. Actually, I have gotten much better since we moved into this house because the trees we do have in our yard aren't big ones. At our other house, we had a gigantic tree in the back yard. Plus, one time, our neighbors' had a tree fall into our yard, luckily only scraping the house and only damaging the fence.
Yesterday, the weather reports were a little frightening talking about how severe the storms could get because of the cold front moving in behind the warm front. I even got an email and in it was this from someone working at one of the local news stations:

Morning folks...don't mean to sound like chicken little but I just
had a weather briefing and things could get pretty rough around midnight
and on into early tomorrow morning. Things are setting up much like this past Saturday with two major differences. One - the storms that were south of us Saturday will be over our heads tonight. Two - and here's where it gets a little technical, but a cap in the atmosphere will erode very quickly tonight causing thunderstorms to explode. This is what will cause us to have large hail and more than likely super cell tornados. These are the kind that are not as widespread but do the most damage. I'm not trying to alarm anyone, just might want to be on the lookout before you go to bed tonight. The main reason I'm sending this out
is because every single computer model agrees with this forecast. This is extremely rare when all 5 agree.


While the email had me a little worried, I didn't want to worry too much. Because, one, that would never happen here (that's how I rationalize things) and two, there's not much I can do about it. BUT, my sister had also been keeping up with the weather reports. We had been out shopping together earlier (yes, Kellie, we went to Target where we also ran into Margarita), and we didn't really talk about the weather. I mean, we were shopping, with our cute little babies. Later, she called wanting to know how I felt about the possible severe weather. Neither of us really wanted to be alone (her hubby works nights as well). She suggested either Baby S and I go to her house or Baby Eva and her come to my house. By this time, Mr. S wasn't feeling any better and hadn't gotten much sleep (some sort of allergy/sinus attack) so he decided to take the night off. Problem solved. Baby Eva and my sister came to my house. We thought the girls were going to have their first slumber party. We were having so much fun playing with them.
But, we watched the 10:00 news, and it seemed that the weather may not get as bad as they had thought. Even the worst wasn't supposed the come through until around 6 am. So, my sister decided to go ahead and go home so Baby Eva would be more comfortable.

So, it's almost 11:00 am and so far, it's only rained. I think I heard a few claps of thunder last night, but that's it. We are still under a tornado watch until this evening. Maybe there is something still possible, but I've been up since 7 am, and it hasn't done a thing.
What did I learn from all this? Not much really. I already knew the news could blow things out of proportion. But, I guess it's better to err on the side of caution.
Since Mr. S was home last night, I got to sleep all night!!




4 Comments:

  • I love thunderstorms!!! Tornadoes, not so much. I think the news is almost always blowing things waaaaay out of proportion when it comes to severe weather and always downplays possible winter weather, like snow. I also rationalize with "that would never happen here", because, let's face it, it usually doesn't. Because of the mighty Mississippi, bad weather usually loses strength and either goes north or south of the Memphis area.

    Just a little weather history for those of you who don't live here, lol.

    By Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is), At 1:53 PM  

  • We're under weather warnings for 4-9 inches of snow and 1-3 inches of ice beginning tonight. Good times, huh?

    LOVE the pics of the girls. I am so extremely jealous (in a good way) that a) you and your sister live so close to one another and b) that the girls are so close in age and will get to grow up together.

    Ahhh...Target. I was there today, too...kinda by accident. I swear!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:13 PM  

  • i love that you have a girl cousin for ryan that is so close. it is so fun to watch them play. just wait a few more months until they start crawling after each other... it is so cute!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 10:40 AM  

  • YAY for sleep.
    I was shocked last week when the weather that was going to come and kill everyone....never came.
    :-)
    Ryan is so beautiful!

    By Blogger Silly Hily, At 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home